Tuesday 15 October 2013

Roaming Through Mudgie Land

No, I've not been to Stockport, amazing tourist-haven it no doubt is.  But prompted by the Pub Curmudgeon's post on The Beer Bubble, I made a decision last week.  "Well, I suppose I could," I thought "sit here in my usual seat at the local Crafty bar, begging Jeremy the Manager to order that Rhubarb Porter or Limoncello-cask IPA I've read about on Twitter.  But no, I will go and visit these family brewery owned pubs Mudgie likes so much.  Yes, Surely Mudgie would approve".

And so I left my pint of Great Heck Black Jesus and headed off to the bus stop, where the Number 41 to Preston was boarded and soon (well, later - all things are relative in Wyresdale) dropped me off at Garstang.
Royal Oak, Garstang
Somewhat surprisingly (to me, anyway) the Royal Oak was packed, despite the fact the only cask on was Robinsons.  I ordered a pint of Unicorn and pondered why there were so many people in here when Garstang has eight other pubs. Then I remembered that this is indeed Garstang, and the 4000 people who live there have precious little else to do.   Everyone must have been fairly well oiled, as my paisley shirt attracted no comment, and judging by the average age of the clientele, I doubt the brewery considered this as one of their sites to launch Trooper a few months back. Though I am probably related to most of them as half my family are buried in a nearby churchyard.

I woke up the following day, still with the taste of Robbie's yeast in my mouth.  I decided to forget about Lancashire for day and travel to Southport.
Imperial Hotel, Southport
Amusingly, the bus passed a few pubs to save me looking.  I spied the Imperial Hotel and decided to have to look.  Now, this is a Holt's pub, from the makers of the cheapest beer outside Tadcaster, so I was expecting a dubious, time-forgotten dump like many Northern Sam Smith's houses.  Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be bright, airy and spacious.  The staff were identically turned out in half-done-up red ties.  I guessed this was one of those "food-led" places.  I ordered a pint of Holt's IPA, which may have even seen a hop sometime during its brewing, but of that I'm uncertain.   Despite Joey's tightwad reputation, this was a place that Peter Kershaw's old rackets partner Colin Cowdrey would not be ashamed to be seen in.  Shame about the beer, but you can't have everything.  I consoled myself with some silly craft beer bought at The Inn Beer Shop.

After waking up tired and thirsty from the unwisely-purchased Delirium Tremens, I decided to console myself with familiarity.  Lancaster it was.  So, off again up the A6 to the city of the one-way road.  I ignored all the Thwaites pubs, as watching Wainwright dominate the world is getting depressing.  Thankfully, there's a Hydes pub towards the railway station.
Robert Gillow, Lancaster
I went into the Robert Gillow, and when my pupils had opened wide enough for me to be able to see, I discerned the pump for Hydes Original and ordered one.  Hydes beer always makes me think there's only one strain of yeast in Manchester that all the breweries use to make sure all the bitter tastes the same so as not to scare people.  I somewhat doubted that the Hydes was the reason people came here, as the fridges were full of the beers the Crafties love.  I had also arrived smack in the middle of a music festival for which it had acquired a 24-hour licence.  Someone was trying to set up a theremin in the corner.  Well, full marks for novelty at least, I thought.  Though whether the players sense of pitch would have been good after the Laphroaig I saw them drinking was another thing.  I ordered a Quarter Cask in sympathy, and downed it and left before they finally got the bloody thing working.

So, in the end, I ended up back at the local craft bar, drinking again Black Jesus.  And as the comforting darkness of both the beer and rapidly impending intoxication seeped into my brain, I cogitated on what I learned from my adventures.  For one thing, just because a pub is owned by a family brewery, it does not mean that it's necessarily a traditional pub.   And a lot of Manchester regional brewed beer is not really to my taste.  But the journey is always more important than the destination.

And Jeremy, when are you getting that Rhubarb Porter?

11 comments:

  1. Southport is RedNev land, of course :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought of him when I saw Barons Bar was out of CAMRA leaflets. And have started serving pints in plastic glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite pub in Southport is the Guest House, a 5-minute walk from the Inn Beer Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I went there as well. Had Wadworth 6X. Better than Holt's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a tenancy, not a free house, so the range can sometimes be limited - perhaps it was when you went in - but it often has beers from micros, such as Southport, Prospect, Phoenix, George Wright, Burscough, Liverpool Organic, Cross Bay and others I can't recall just now. For a tenancy the range can be remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mudgie online persona is a bit of an exaggeration. If you want to actually see Mudgie in Stockport you have to go to a smart wine bar with posh clientele. He's the bloke with the Cristal champagne surrounded by skirt.

    In reality, the man has never had a proper pint of bitter in a proper pub in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whereas Cookie actually has a beard and enjoys drinking pong in dumpy pubs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting as traditionally the drinkers of Manchester's family brewers don't usually like the competition. So Lees lovers don't like Robbies and vice versa. And Holts drinkers think Hydes is too sweet while Hydes fans think Holts too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there is no nearby JW Lees pub to Preston. The nearest (by distance) are in Ramsbottom or Hawkshaw. And frankly, it'd be quicker to get to the ones in Warrington. Or even Crewe.

      Delete
  9. Robinsons have one pub in Southport: the Mason's on Anchor Street. I saw JW Lees on somewhere recently as a guest; it might have been the Baron's Bar, but in a glass. This plastic glass thing is new and not in my mind suitable for a bar in the 2014 GBG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was bemused by the plastic glass. My cousin, who was with me, ordered a Bulmers and was told by the barman she couldn't take the bottle from the bar. At 37 and 38 we were comfortably the youngest people there. It was 3pm on a Saturday. She said it was probably the result of people being idiots in the cocktail bar at the other side of the Scarisbrick.

      Delete